Ultra runner Robbie’s kit for UTMB

Trail runner Eirik Haugsnes wins Norway’s first skyrace

August 29, 2014 Comments (0) All Posts

Ashley Moyer Battles Through Eastern States 100

Ashley powers through the first 45 miles

Committing to Eastern States 100

The Eastern States 100, an ultra running event, was held for the first time this year, in central Pennsylvania. Created by local race directors and runners who wanted to showcase just what we have to offer in what is known as the PA Wilds. As soon as I heard about the planning for such an event, I was immediately on board – this was a great idea! The east coast deserves a little more attention when it comes to trail and ultra running.Eastern States 100 logo

So back in August of last year, I signed up for the Eastern States 100, knowing that it would be the hardest race I have attempted so far. Mostly single track, over 20,000′ of elevation gain, combining such trails as the remote Mid-State Trail, the iconic Black Forest Trail, and others, to bring together a loop that would give runners a healthy taste of what running here is like. It may not be high altitude or remote mountain peaks, but is full of beautiful, technical single-track through secluded forest wilderness.

Choosing the right gear

My gear for this event was easy to choose -I’d wear my faithful Trailroc. Besides being my favorite shoe, they would also serve me well for this race. They would have gripping traction for the challenging terrain, drain quickly through the multiple stream crossings, and they give my feet enough room in the toe box to handle the distance. I’d also wear my new Race Ultra Vest. I’ve previously always only carried a handheld bottle, preferring the lightweight and simplicity, but this pack has changed me. It’s lightweight, breathable design and easily accessible pockets allowing me to be organized and move quickly through aid stations.

The event started at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, with another one of these oddly mild, even chilly, August days -perfect weather for a race though. I started off down the road through Little Pine State Park with nearly 200 other runners, so many of them my friends, knowing this was going to be a long day for all of us. Thankfully, this meant I had company for almost the entire first 45 miles as I ran with many of my friends, but mostly my husband, David, and our friend, Ian.

The Eastern States 100 course was already living up to its expectations -the climbs were tough and the descents equally so. A fellow runner, Jay Smithberger, asked me as we ascended an early hill, “What do you guys have against switchbacks?” Most trails just went straight up and back down the mountain. Also, the rocky, technical trail kept you paying attention, unfortunately missing out on all the great views.

Photo Credit: Eastern States 100

Photo Credit: Eastern States 100

For the beginning of the day, I just enjoyed running with friends, taking care of myself nutritionally and ticking away the miles. The Race Ultra Vest made nutrition easy – I love all the small pockets, allowing me to be organized. I reserve one pocket for my bag of S-Caps, two I split for gels, and the last pocket I keep as my trash pocket. My aid stations visits were kept short, especially when my crew was involved. As I came into an aid station, I’d switch out my bottles with fresh ones my parents had already refilled. I’d restock the gel pockets, empty trash, and leave the aid usually with some form of solid food in hand.

Closing out the last half of the race

After 40 miles or so, I found myself running alone as Ian, David and I got dispersed around an aid station. This continued for the next 20 miles. At Slate Run around 61 miles would be when I picked up my pacer, Bryce Gavitt. At 17 years old, Bryce is fairly new to trail running, but already is making waves in central PA. Finishing in the top tier of many of our competitive races, and even winning some -Bryce is tough and keeps getting faster. This would be a new challenge for him – running 40 miles through the night with me. He was enthusiastic about the task, and I was excited to share some miles with him.

After grabbing some pierogies and departing with Bryce, the miles went by easily with my new companion. I hiked uphill out of Slate Run in an attempt to catch the runner I saw ahead of me and it turned out to be Ian and his pacer. Once on top of the mountain, he fell into a good pace and I followed behind, enjoying how easily the miles drifted by. Night began to fall and Bryce and I flicked on our headlamps. The downhills were beginning to be more difficult on my legs and a pain was beginning in my foot that I was trying to ignore. The descent into Blackwell was much slower then it should’ve been.

Climbing through the night with her pacer

Climbing through the night with her pacer. Photo Credit: Tania Lezak Photography

Up until this point, I was keeping slight tabs on how big of a lead I had. I was tending to stay in the 7-12 minute range. When we got to Blackwell, I learned I only had a few minute lead when I left Slate Run. I quickly changed into dry shoes and socks, grabbed some food, and Bryce and I began the climb up to Gillespie Point via the MidState Trail. The climb was long, but the downhill on the other side was worse. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with my right foot, but it was definitely starting to bother me on the downs the most. When the decline got less steep, I managed a run, which loosened my foot up.

After being greeted by volunteers waiting down the trail to welcome the runners, we then followed a line of Christmas lights through the woods and across the open field to where the cabin sat and the aid station awaited. Lines of volunteers cheered us through -it was almost like we weren’t in the middle of nowhere.

Pushing through the pain to the finish

There’s always highs and lows in 100s, and I tried to remind myself this as I went through a really bad spot mentally for the next several miles. Bryce was a great pacer, he talked even though I didn’t give much of a response, telling me stories and encouraging me along. I moved in and out of my lows, sometimes keeping up a steady pace, but with increasing pain in my foot. I soon realized that it was the muscle or tendon that connects my leg to my foot, allowing it to flex as I go up or down hill. The extension of the foot to descend a hill was causing the most discomfort.

Rain began to fall and the 6 miles to the last aid station at 97 miles felt like an eternity. Now walking was even painful -at times I would run and it would loosen, but soon I was walking uphill over rocks and roots and just hoping the aid would come into sight. After what felt like hours, it did. I hardly spent any time there, anxious as I was to reach the finish. The downhill out of the aid station also proved to be my downfall. My foot completely locked up and I was reduced to using Bryce’s shoulder as my crutch downhill. The pace was so miserably slow, the finish so close and yet so far. As I moved down and across to a short uphill, Kathleen Cusick, the female who was chasing me all day finally caught up. She passed me quickly and headed on up the last hill. I tried moving quickly to stay with her, but I knew it had long since been over. As I crested the top and traveled across the ridge, I experienced the worst pains of my life -just walking was excruciating.

Crossing the finish line in 2nd place

Crossing the finish line in 2nd place

It took me over two hours to complete the last 3 miles of the race. Never have I been so happy to cross a finish line.

From feeling so great for so long, I was very disappointed to being reduced to moving so slowly and losing my lead so close to the finish. It may not have been quite how I envisioned finishing this race, but I’ve learned that things rarely go as you want them to. Especially over 100 miles, a lot can happen, no matter how hard you train. I’m happy with the accomplishment and am working to recover quickly to get ready for the next adventure!

Products: Trailroc 245 TRAILROC 245 ATL GRAP 2-14

RaceUltra Vest RACE ULTRA VEST rear

Leave a Comment

Back to top Back to top