What is natural running?
Natural running is a running style that involves landing on your forefoot rather than your heel, while also shifting your centre of gravity by leaning forward.
What are the benefits of natural running?
• A reduction in the likelihood of injury
• A more efficient and therefore faster running style
How long will it take to become a natural runner?
• Permanently changing your running style takes a very gradual transition (at least 1 year)
• It is possible to start natural running immediately by using minimalist shoes for short periods of time
What are minimalist shoes?
• Minimal or even no midsoles (the cushioning section of the sole)
• Little or no height difference between the heel and forefoot
• No supportive features such as arch support
• Flexibility both laterally (sideways) and longitudinally (lengthways).
How do minimalist shoes help natural running?
• Most runners use overly cushioned and supportive shoes that allow them to land on their heels
• Minimalist running shoes provide a barefoot running feel and encourage a forefoot strike
Can someone start running in minimalist shoes
all the time?
• Suddenly changing from cushioned footwear to minimalist footwear can increase injury risk due to the new stresses on the body
• Developing a more natural running style requires a gradual transition to increasingly minimalist shoes